Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pray for the People Behind My Book



This week, seeing the cover of my latest book Running with Roselle prompts me to pray, not for increased sales or new promotional ideas (although those would be good things), but for the two people who became dear to me as I wrote the story—my co-author and his wife. Michael Hingson’s wife Karen has been in the hospital for over a week, battling severe pneumonia that turned into acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The last I heard, her conditions was still pretty critical. I know Mike would appreciate your prayers.

I don’t think I ever said this to Mike, but God used him and Karen at a critical time in my life. In a year when I had a lot of negative going on, meeting Mike and writing his incredible story of growing up blind and surviving 9/11 provided an uplifting distraction. His determined spirit and refusal to let limitations hold him back inspired me as I was forced to step out in independence in new ways. Mike would say I could do it, I often thought, so would Karen. Because Mike is blind and Karen is a paraplegic, they have a special bond as a couple, depending on and helping each other while also sharing an understanding that only those who live with a disability on a daily basis really get. At a time when I’d grown a bit cynical about love, watching their relationship filled me with joy and hope. 

I thank God for Mike and Karen, not only because I had the privilege of writing about Mike’s unique life, his relationship with his guide dog, Roselle, and a miraculous escape from the World Trade Center, but because they are incredible people who came into my life at the perfect time.

So please join me in praying for Karen, and for Mike.

Can you think of someone that God brought into your life at the perfect time? Have you ever told that person what they mean to you and why?

No comments: