Tuesday, July 03, 2007

no bungee for me


I don't get bungee jumping. My daughter does. She loves it.
But I also don't enjoy taking risks. I like to play it safe on solid ground.
God seems to be calling me to bungee jump with Him. I love to be alone and write, but lately I've been speaking and teaching others to write. I write inspirational non-fiction articles. But I'm going to be brave and go to California next year for a huge writers' conference. I want to have a good start to my first novel to take with me.
Scary as it is, I want to learn to write great fiction which means leave all that it comfortable for me. Free falling.
Is there any kind of bungee jumping you think God may be calling you to do?
I'd love to hear about it.
♥Julie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the bungee jumping thought. AWESOME post. But how do I know if God's calling me to "bungee jump"?

BTW, I don't like risks either. Too much that could go wrong. ;-)

your friend,

Debbie
http://my-God-rocks.blogspot.com

Julie Garmon said...

Hey Debbie,

So glad you get bungee jumping. And a very good comment. We sound a lot alike with the risk thing.

When I feel like God's talking to me, I don't hear words, but it's this sweet sense of whispering--never a demanding "voice" (if that's the right way to put it)-- a very gentle nudge to do something. Also, for me, there are signs. Sometimes a good friend will say something to confirm what I think God's leading me to do. Often, it's not what I want to do. Sometimes circumstances click that work together--like my mother is a writer. As a child, I was her editor. I learned a lot through my childhood, even though I didn't want to edit her writing at the time. I went to a women's conference when I first started writing and won a desk chair. I've only prayed this way a few times in my life. I asked God for a sign...if You want me to keep writing, let me win that chair for my desk. I wanted a way out, and we aren't to test God but I won!! Out of 400 women. I think He calls us to sometimes do things we can't do on our own. For me to speak to crowds, I have to say, "Help me. I'm afraid." And He does!I hope this long answer makes sense to you.

Yeah, it's a soft, gentle nudge that doesn't go away.

♥Julie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my question! :-)

I think I get what you're saying about the "soft, gentle nudge". Thank you so much! :-)

your friend,

Debbie
http://my-God-rocks.blogspot.com