Monday, July 16, 2007

I am Woman, Hear Me Roar, or Gripe, or Wail


From our generation, there is a song by Helen Reddy (not sure about how to spell her name) that is fun to sing but not very scriptural. I am Woman, Hear Me Roar urged women to recognize their potential. That part's all right, but the lyrics also implied that in order to do that, we had to use the men around us as stepping stones. One didn't get the feeling that the woman and man were partners, that it was more of a tug of war.

Well today I feel like a woman, and no, I don't feel like roaring. I'm feeling the negative elements of having the hormonal make up of femininity. Today, my natural tendency is either to gripe about everyone and everything around me, or weep. I'm having a hard time focusing on sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows. This is the pits.

The logical side of my brain can count my blessings. The emotional side just wants to wail. At this point in time, I can say for sure that men just don't "get" this aspect of being a woman. I'm also pretty sure I'm glad they don't. Can you imagine a PMS man who gets teary-eyed over a cloud formation that looks like the bunny he once had who died? That's just not a pretty picture.

My mother used to say, "Wait 24 hours, and the sun in your soul will shine again."

The Bible says, "This too shall pass."

It is always a good thing to remember that God loves us even when we don't FEEL loved. It's especially good to remember when illogically, you want to rant, rave, wail, weep, gripe, grump, and ditch the whole world as a lost cause. Praise God He is faithful and NEW EVERY MORNING!

2 comments:

Deena Peterson said...

Donita, and all the wonderful authors who blog here: Thank you for your talent and your effort with each and every novel you write. You bring so much joy and inspiration through your talents, and I appreciate each and every one of you!

Anonymous said...

Could you please tell me where in the Bible it says, "This too shall pass"? I can't find it.

Thank you!