Saturday, July 28, 2007

Awesome Gifts from a Father's Heart

Today my husband and I attended my niece and nephew's birthday party. She turned seven and he turned five. As I watched their faces light up with delight as they worked their way through the mound of gifts their friends and family members bought them, I was filled with joy. My heart swelled with pride when one of my sisters-in-law told me my other nephew slept with the toy car Michael and I gave him for his birthday a few weeks ago (I have fifteen nieces and nephews so there is always a birthday in my husband's family).

There is something extremely satisfying about giving someone a gift that he or she loves. As I thought of the kids and how much they enjoy the toys they receive, I couldn't help but think about God and the delight and satisfaction He must receive when He lavishes great gifts on us. Do we add to that satisfaction with an enthusiastic response or do we just mumble a meek thanks and move on?

For me, the best part of giving my nieces and nephews birthday gifts is watching them enjoy their gift. It's hearing them tell me they enjoy it. I'm sure the same is true for God. He enjoys watching us delight in the blessings He has given us. He wants to hear us praise Him and shout our thanks to the heavens. Worship that is birthed out of gratitude is one of the best thank you notes we can send heavenward. But how often do we respond like that?

If you're anything like me, you don't do it nearly enough. So take a moment to pause today and shout your thanks to the heavens and let God know you are fully enjoying all of the amazing gifts He has lavished on you lately...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...makes me wonder how often God puts a rainbow in the sky and or gives us a beautiful rainstorm and we miss it entirely. Too wrapped up in our own so-called "important" lives. Such a sad thought!

Debbie