Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Prayers for Paris!



Unless you've been living in a bunker during the last couple of weeks, you're probably aware of the brouhaha (I love that word:-) over Miss Paris Hilton.

I've been watching the whole thing with mixed emotions. On the one hand, the girl did something wrong. On the other hand, a whole lot of people make money off of "keeping Paris happy". That doesn't often help someone gain maturity and insight, two things that Paris is obviously in dire need of.

When I went looking for a picture to put up with this blog, I had a hard time finding one where she was 1, clothed and 2, not in some provocative position. That's not good either. She has created an empire on how she looks. There's nothing good about that. The above one is the most wholesome one I could find.

Paris apparently called Barbara Walters over the weekend, collect, from jail. I find this amusing because I doubt Paris has Barbara Walter's personal phone number memorized. I'd bet that her Publicity people gave her the phone number and told her to call so that it would have an air of legitimacy. Yes, I suppose I'm cynical, but Hollywood runs off of publicity. Why else are there pictures of her carrying books under her arm? Most of the human race would carry them in a bag, not tucked awkwardly under her arm so that the titles are nicely in view. So it came as no surprise to me that Paris now wants to "change her ways."

For her sake, I hope she means it. I really, really do. And for that reason, I think we need to be praying for her. Paris is a girl who lives her life surrounded by people who adore her (or at least pretend to). It's not a great set-up to really consider your life, purpose, or anything else except what party you're going to next. Her jailtime is going to be...lonely. It won't be any real hardship, but being alone with yourself can be a hard place to be for some people. But it's also a place where we can gain that "insight and maturity" that I mentioned earlier.

So let's not condemn or make fun, let's pray for her. If we all pray for her everytime we see her on the news, perhaps good can come out of this whole thing. (Of course, that also means you'll do A LOT of praying...)

And while you're at it, I bet Lindsay Lohan could use some divine intervention as well...

No comments: