Monday, June 11, 2007

My Prince

I have a photograph. We're both sitting in an armchair made for one. I'm wearing denim overalls and a light blue t-shirt. My long hair is swept up loosely with a clip, and my head is thrown back in delighted laughter.

He is looking at the camera. His hair is just long enough to be in a perpetual state of unruliness, and he's grinning from ear to ear. He's wearing . . .

Well, let me start over.

My knight in shining armor came riding into my life on his valiant steed. He was really just a tousle-headed college boy in levi corduroys on a ten-speed bike. But he was mine. We'd been engaged for a few months, but hadn't told anyone yet. We had our reasons. In retrospect, they are mostly silly and romantic, but we had them. One evening my doorbell rang. He was standing there, his eyes full of merriment, and he said, "I've come courting."

I laughed at him. In fact, I couldn't stop laughing. But he wasn't offended. That's exactly the response he'd anticipated. He and his dorm buddies had pooled their resources and decked him out in quite the interesting finery: an orange and blue plaid flannel shirt, brown and white checked pants, a hot pink tie with neon colored flowers, and a brown blazer. Courting duds.

So we put on some music and danced. We talked and laughed. My roommate snapped some pictures. I'm so glad.

He stayed as long as was proper. Then he went to the window, opened it, and called to his bicycle, "Mighty Bones! Prepare to ride!" And he left. Through the door, not the window. I watched him ride away, feeling loved, happy, courted.

It's such a great memory. And to think, twenty-eight years later, he's still my prince. Still loves me, courts me, makes me laugh.

If your prince hasn't come courting yet, keep praying and trusting God to bring him at just the right time. Princes come in all shapes and sizes. And they don't all ride white horses. Sometimes they show up on a ten-speed bike.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm probably a little older than your average reader, which is why I tend to blog stalk and not leave comments. This post, however, spoke volumes to me. I loved it. Thanks for sharing your story and some encouraging words.

Jeanne Damoff said...

Thank you, Amy! And you're welcome. I'm so glad you decided to comment. We don't discriminate based on age, so feel free to jump in whenever you have something to say. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this story! It made me laugh which, I needed one today real bad! I love this story because I feel like I am the only girl who hasn't ever had a boy friend but this story helped me realize that God hasn't sent the right guy into my life yet and I will wait for him!

Jeanne Damoff said...

Thanks, Emily, for the love and the laughter--two of my favorite things! :)

Waiting can be so hard, but if you want to know my honest opinion, sometimes NOT having a boyfriend is a bigger blessing than having one. God may be protecting you from heartache until you and your future prince are ready for each other. Keep your eyes on God, and let Him keep His eyes on Prince Charming. ;)