Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Good Life

Girls. . . I get that.

God. . . Check, got that too.

The Good Life? Hmm. What's up with that?

As I sit with my fingers on the keyboard, I pray about what to write.

God, you know the girls who will arrive at this site. You know who they are, what they are facing, and the questions that they ask. Show me what to write.

The question that pops into my head is, "well, my life isn't so good, so what is this about the good life?"

Funny, but that was a question I once posed to God myself. I stood in the back of a church, an unfamiliar place for me, and listened to a pastor talk about a loving God.

It made me angry -- spitting mad.

Coz my life wasn't so great at the time. My family was a mess. I was hurting and pretty angry at life.

How did a loving God fit into all of that?

So, I took on God. You know, the God of the universe? I closed my eyes (read somewhere that God could only hear you if your eyes were closed -- myth #1) and let God have it between the eyes with my wrath.

Where are you if you are real?

It's easy for them to talk about a loving God and a good life. They don't live at my house.

Then God did something unexpected. He cut through my anger and pain and settled somewhere deep inside of me I didn't even know existed and let me know he was real, and that he cared.

A lot.

He loved me. He loved my family. He grieved over the brokenness we all were experiencing. It wasn't his plan, but I wasn't stuck. I could take a step toward God and he would meet me and show me a new way. . .

Hmm. Should I?

How could I not?

I became a follower of Christ that day. My family didn't change. My circumstances were the same. But something very cool happened.

I was a girl.

I met God.

I discovered the good life.

Peace inside of me when everything else was chaos. A Father who loved me for eternity. A heart that healed.

So, I don't know where you are in life or what you're dealing with, but I do know this: God truly cares about you, your circumstances, and your life.

He knows and loves you.

That's the secret of the "good life".

Suzie

2 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for that post, it was just what I needed to read for some encouragement this morning.

God bless,
Erin

Erin said...

Thanks for that post, it was just what I needed to read for some encouragement this morning.

God bless,
Erin