Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Complicated Cobweb Convolution


I don't know about you, but sometimes I make faith all complicated. Like God has a report card with my name written on the walls of heaven. And then I read a scripture like this one:

But the person who loves God is the one that God knows and cares for.
1 Cor. 8:3 (NIV)


Hmm. Isn't that too simple? Doesn't that rule out all the “to-do's” I've got stacked up like a rickety house of cards? I want to be a part of what God is doing. That's a cool thing and it makes my life richer and I’m not stopping any time soon. But it gets complicated when I make God about "doing", when he's just looking to know me.

It's a revelation when you scrape away all the exterior stuff like a bad paint job and realize that it’s what is underneath that is appealing to God. God just wants you to love him. When you do, he takes care of the rest. He opens doors. He gives opportunities. He shares answers. He walks with you through the sticky, icky times. He plants a kiss of destiny on your life like a spiritual game of spin the bottle.

But on those days that you get caught up in a faith-like-a-cobweb mentality, cut the strings of your complicated cobweb convolution and remind yourself of one thing:

God loves you and wants to know you – you, not your works, not your to-do's, just you.

“Jesus loves me. This I know.” I love that song. When I start to struggle and feel like I’ve failed God or if my to-do list isn’t taken care of, I get very alone with Him and thank him all over again for his intentional love. Do I want to make a difference in this world? Absolutely. But first I want God to make a difference in my heart so that my faith is more than words or even a very long to-do list.

Suzie Eller (T. Suzanne)

No comments: